Tuesday, October 2, 2012

Sweet Potato Blondies

I feel like I am constantly hearing about the benefits of sweet potatoes. So, I returned to this fabulous dessert centered on the most nutritionally-dense item in the grocer's  produce section:
http://allrecipes.com/recipe/golden-yam-brownies/detail.aspx
I tried it twice before, but this was shortly before realizing that the temperature sensor in the oven was bad. So, it had turned out wierdly soggy both times. Now that Micah in his incredible, impressive, able-to-fix-stuff manliness has replaced the temperature sensor, I figured it was worth another shot. With the calorie-counting weight-loss plan going great, I tried to half the recipe and make it a little lighter. I ended up with this:

1/2 cup I Can't Believe It's Not Butter Light
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
1/2 cup egg beaters
1 cup flour
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
dash of salt
1 cup finely grated sweet potato
1/4 cup raisins

Blend sugar and butter substitute. Add egg beaters. Mix the dry ingredients together, then add the wet stuff. Finally, dump in the sweet potato. This does not need to be cooked or peeled. Cook 40 mins at 350 in a 8''x8'' pan, or until toothpick comes out clean.

By using half the sugar, omitting the glaze and using light butter and egg substitutes, the calories are nearly halved. And they are delicious. Dense and smooth like the perfect brownie. Plenty sweet and perfect with a cup of milk! Definitely a step up from throwing sweet potato into my oatmeal raisin cookies.

No comments:

Post a Comment