Wednesday, October 17, 2012

Kale Kookies

I'm so Klever :)

 
Micah has now been gone at his conferance for 4 days. He comes home tomorrw night (super yay!). I miss him so much, I turned to my one foolproof sourse of solice: baking. As I was making oatmeal cookies (from this recipe), I got to the part where you mix your dry ingredients before adding the blended butter, sugar and eggs. I added some allspice and as I ground my cinnimon (fresh ground cinnimon is the BOMB!) I was thinking about how much I love strong spices in cookies. Then I suddenly remembered two weeks ago at the park where I was trying to describe the taste of kale and said it was sort of like anise. So, I incorporated kale, along with my favorite kale kompanion-sweet potatoes!!!
 
1 egg
1 cup sugar
1/2 cup butter
1 cup kale, stems completely removed
1- 1/4 cup flour
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 finely shredded sweet potato
1/4 cup shredded coconut
1-3/4 cups old fashion oats
1/4 cup raisins
Blend first 3 ingredients in a blender. Add Kale and blend until kale is in fine pieces
Mix together dry ingredients. Add blended ingredients. Add the last 4 ingredients. Bakes 20 mins at 375 and Viola. Kale Kookies.
 
They're really good. Definitely a little different, but totally satisfy my baked good craving. With all the sugar, these are certainly not a health food, but definitely the coolest way I have ever heard of to eat your greens.

 
If I do it again- I would take out the stem of the kale. I usually do this, but was lazy this time. The stem leaves a very pervasive, bitter taste that doesn't belong. I might add nuts, grate the sweet potatoes finer and omit the coconut.
 
Now I want to try kale in a gingersnap or some kind of spice cookie. That would especially be fun to take to a holiday party, since the kale has such a bright green color.
 
 
 
And here's a random picture of Natalie, in case Micah checks out the blog and wants to see her:

No comments:

Post a Comment