Saturday, July 7, 2012

Some Recipes...


So, when my sister called this evening, it reminded me that I wanted to share a few cool recipes/ideas I have been playing with lately. I have more to maybe post later, but here are the best things I've tried lately:

Almond Milk
This site shows how to make almond milk. I used whole raw almonds- the skin did make it a little bitter. I sweetened by adding dates instead of honey/syrup. The leftover stuff? Spread out on a dish towel until dry, throw in a blender and- bam- you've got almond flour. Store in the freezer since there may be  some moisture in it!

Oatmeal Zucchini Cookies
(Hide veggies in a cookie. Sneaky, eh?)
1 cup butter, softened
1 cup white sugar
1 cup packed brown sugar
2 eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
3 cups quick cooking oats
1/2-1 cup raisins, craisins, chopped dates, nuts or any combo of these 
2 medium zucchini, shredded
Beat butter and sugars, add eggs. Add other ingredients. (Be fancy and combine dry ingredients before adding, but I think dirtying any extra bowls is stupid...). Squeeze zucchini in a cheesecloth/clean dishrag or add a few extra Tbsp of flour to compensate for the wetness. Bake for like 15+ minutes at 350-375. They will be cakey, so I prefer letting them get brown all over before taking them out so they stay together more.

Graham Crackers
I thought these were fabulous and not as hard as they look. The recipe is here: http://smittenkitchen.com/2009/05/graham-crackers/
I didn’t have a processor or a paddle attachment for an electric mixer, so I used a good old fashioned knife to cut in the butter. I also pretty much stopped following the recipe once I got the soft, sticky dough because I’m impatient and don’t like long instructions. I stuck the dough in the freezer for an hour, then kneaded it on a floured surface, rolled it out flat and thin (about 1/8’’) and cut it up into pieces, sprinkled them with cinnamon sugar and baked at 350 for about 15 mins. Also, parchment paper isn’t really necessary.
It would be amazing to put marshmallows and chocolate chips on top and stick it back in for a few minutes until melted. 

Granola
Really, the only essential parts of this recipe are the oats, sugar, honey, oil, vanilla and salt. Careful not to overcook, it will firm up as it cools!


1 comment:

  1. The zucchini cookies remind me of the best t-shirt I ever saw, which was a few weeks ago. It said, "Stupid raisins, stay out of my cookies!"

    ReplyDelete