Thursday, October 27, 2011

Why, Yes!

We are the classiest people in the world. Here we sit down to enjoy an elegant dinner of macaroni and cheese with chili hot dogs.


Recent happenings: Micah was hired to tutor a girl in one of his classes a few hours a week. He gets paid 4.1x the hourly rate that I do at Party City. Lucky, Lucky.

Speaking of Party City, I believe that next week will be my last week working there. I was very unsure as to whether or not I should try to stay on part-time, but I have decided not to for a few reasons. One is that I would only want to stay until Christmas time and the time between Christmas and New Years is supposed to be one of the busiest times of the year. Also, I couldn't take off the weekend of Thanksgiving and I already have plans to go up to Wilmington since we couldn't go this month due to not being able to take off the weeks before Halloween . And most importantly- I don't think I can do 6-9 hour shifts on my feet any more. Even with a good break in the middle, it has gone from being irksome and tiring to downright painful. So, I shall instead spend the last 8-10 weeks of my pregnancy sitting on my butt. I mean... uh.... nesting.


On Monday I went back for my glucose test. I passed (barely) and so it was recommended that I still make some changes to my diet, mainly eliminating carbs where possible. I think that I probably would have failed if I hadn't fasted for so long before the test. My fasting glucose level was 70mg sugar/dl blood, way below the cutoff of 94, but then all 3 measurements after drinking sugar were within just a few mg/dl of the standard for gestational diabetes.

That night during dinner, Micah said, "I just want you to know that I plan to do my share..."
Oh boy! my mind reeled immediately Wash more dishes? Clean the toilets?
"...to make sure that you eat less carbs."
He had spooned the rest of the macaroni and cheese into his bowl.
Thanks. Thanks a lot.

The biggest challenge is that I hardly ever buy meat because it's so expensive here and I don't like vegetables. So, if I were to eliminate all carbohydrates, my diet would consist of... milk. And some fruit once in a while. I need to learn some new lower carb recipes that are easy, tasty and cheap! So far, I made spinach enchiladas that were really good, but not practical except when cheese is on major sale. Tonight I will be trying thin crusted, thick everything-else pizza.


Micah will be running a 5k at GaTech on Friday morning. Stay tuned for how that went.

No comments:

Post a Comment