Thursday, October 13, 2011

An Anecdote from Work

Last night, I worked from the afternoon until the store closed. I was cashiering for most of the evening, but spent the last few slower hours putting away merchandise and helping customers. While I was in the halloween section, a young man approached me for advice on a costume. He wanted to be a character from a tv show. After a while, I admitted that I wasn't familiar with any of the characters he was mentioning because I didn't have tv for a long time and am sort of out of the loop on pop culture. I wanted to get away from the conversation and continue my work, but he asked what I do without tv. I mentioned that I like to read, he had the idea to become a character from a book. He mentioned Kurt Vonnegut, I said that I had just read Slaughterhouse-Five. I described my frustration with the realistic ending, he praised the book's abrupt prose. Then I was thankfully called to the front to check, so I politely ended the conversation. It was about time for the store to close.

After checking out the last few customers, I head down an aisle to return a few items, and the young man caught me again. He told me I was abeautiful woman and asked me to go out with him some time. I thanked him, but informed him that I was married. Being 6 1/2 months pregnant didn't tip him off. Or the wedding ring. So, he left and we closed the front doors.

My manager had been keeping an eye on the guy because he thought that he seemed to be acting nervously. Wanted to make sure he wasn't up to anything suspicious. When I told him what happened, he was very amused and said, "I guess in Atlanta most pregnant ladies aren't married." The other girl who was working with me expressed amused frustration that out of all the girls who work there, the only one to get hit on is the one who's married and pregnant.

What can I say. Being fat is just so alluring.

No comments:

Post a Comment