Saturday, September 15, 2012

Chocolate Chip Banana Almond Cookies

With Micah gone today, I got to eat whatever I wanted for dinner. So, logically, I chose chocolate chip cookies. But, as I'm counting calories, I needed to make them a little less.... bad for you. I have heard many times of using applesauce instead of oil in recipes, but I thought I'd try with a banana that I had on hand. So, here you have it: the slightly less guilty but equally if not more delicious chocolate chip cookie:

One giant rotting banana (seriously, mine was nearing oozey state and attracting fruit flies)
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup white sugar
2 eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 teaspoon almond extract
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 cup oat flour (old fashion oats pulsed in a blender until a fine powder. This keeps the banana from manking the cookies too soggy)
1 teaspoon baking powder
a dash of salt, cinnamon and cream of tartar
1/2 cup chocolate chuncks/chips
1/2 cup almonds

Blend banana, blend in sugars, then add eggs one at a time and blend, blend blend. Mix together dry ingredients then add the blended mixture. Finally, fold in chocolate and almonds. Plop by massive dollop on greased pan (because, lets be honest, some cookies are so good, it is an absolute insult to even make them in small portions). Bake at 350 for around 15 minutes. Makes 24 big, thick 3'' cookies.

These were awesome. Like, incredible. Nice and crispy around the edges, yet soft and cakey in the middle. They were perfect for dunking in milk. I might add a tablespoon or two of milk so that the inside doesn't get as dry. But with only a little over 100 calories for each massive cookie and almost half the fat of the traditional chocolate chip cookie, I think that these will definitely make it into my recipe book.

No comments:

Post a Comment