Tuesday, September 13, 2011

The Coolest Thing I Ever Bought

We purchased a mattress online almost a month ago and were nearly prepared to accept that we would be sleeping on the air mattress forever. It FINALLY arrived, shipping delayed by all the flooding in the Northeast. It was a Textrade 11'' Innerspring pillowtop mattress, king size. It arrived in this form:

It was pretty heavy, but small enough that I was able to shove it up the stairs, around the banister and into the bedroom all by myself. You can see by the scale of the dog and the door, it certainl wasn't SMALL, but I was skeptical. I had ordered the king size, right? Inside the box, the mattress was folded up into a very tight coil.


Cutting the packaging tape that kept it spiraled, it imediately uncoiled and then unfolded into a king size sheet about 2 or three inches thick. As you may notice from the pictures, Sammy was quite impressed with the whole process. So was I.


The COOLEST part, however, came when I began to cut off the plastic wrapping. This is a normal spring mattress but was vaccuum sealed very tight. When I cut into the plastic, the mattress immediately started filling with air. It inflated so fast I could barely cut the whole length of the plastic to allow it to take a normal form as it grew.



Within an hour, it became completely firm and that night we finally got to set up the bedframe and sleep in a real bed. It was utterly fabulous. The mattress is really comfy and I now see why the ratings were so high. Plus, it was cheaper than any other spring mattress we looked at except Ikea but shipping was free.





Aside from all the advantages of having a bed that is larger (no elbows in my face, Sammy laying next to me, not on me), I am quite certain that this bed has magical qualities of stopping motion transfer. I have always been woken up every time Micah moved into a different sleeping position, but for the past few nights I haven't felt him at all. I don't even notice when he gets out of bed to get ready in the morning. I just wake up to him saying goodbye and am confused because I swear he was just asleep right there...


I think that he is having a similair experience with this bed. He always used to wake up when I would get up to use the bathroom, but last night he didn't. He was only awakened when I bumped the door coming back to the bedroom. Seeing someone in the hallway walking towards him and having no recollection of feeling me get out of bed, he let out the nanciest high pitch scream I'd ever heard. After assuring him that it was just me, we went back to sleep slightly unsettled, knowing now what micah's true reaction would be if anybody ever broke into the house...


No comments:

Post a Comment